- 12 whole doves, plucked and gutted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 4 thinly slice jalapenos
- 1/4 cup fresh herb leaves, such as parsley or marjoram
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- oil or lard, for frying
- Halve the birds, effectively removing the breastbone.
- Soak the halves in buttermilk for 6 to 12 hours in the refrigerator.
- Remove the birds from the buttermilk, season well with salt and pepper, and dip in flour.
- Shake off the excess flour and refrigerate them for at least half an hour.
- Heat a few inches of oil to 375 degrees in a fryer or large pot.
- Melt the butter, then combine it with honey, garlic and hot sauce in a large bowl.
- Fry the birds in batches until golden brown and crisp, approximately 3 or 4 minutes.
- Drain on a paper towels.
- Toss the fried birds with the melted butter mixture, add the jalapeños and herbs.
- Serve immediately.