- 30dove breasts, bone in
- 4cups vegetable oil
- 2cups flour
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1(12 ounce) can beer
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the dove breasts under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Pat the dove breasts dry with paper towel and set aside on a plate.
- In a medium sized pot, wide enough to hold about 8 dove breasts at a time, add the vegetable oil and begin heating it on medium flame. The wider your pot, the more oil you will need to completely submerge the dove breasts.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly whisk in the beer until the liquid is uniform and the consistency of a thick syrup.
- Using your fingers or a fork, dip one breast into the batter until it is uniformly covered. Dip one side of the breast into the hot oil to see if it immediately sizzles. If it doesn’t, wait for the oil to get hotter. Keep testing with the same dove breast, then add more breasts, enough to cover the bottom of the pot.
- Once one side of the breast is golden brown, turn it over and cook the other side until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes total.
- Cover a plate with paper towel. Remove the breasts from the pot with a fork or slotted spoon and place on the paper towel. Sprinkle all sides with salt and pepper.
- Repeat until all of the dove breasts are cooked and serve immediately.